The Supply Chain team is looking for motivated professionals to facilitate the distribution of our great products to customers and consumers. These personnel can analyze production metrics against market needs in Supply & Demand Planning, focus on product transportation through Logistics, or ensure the shelves of your local grocery store are stocked by Direct Store Delivery.
The Transportation Analyst is responsible for analyzing the supply chain, transportation and distribution network and developing recommendations for reducing freight costs, creating material efficiencies and improving on-time delivery. Establishes, maintains and communicates statistical data on the tracking of product shipments, returns, and inventory. This position requires knowledge of U.S. geography and transportation costing and the Hours of Service Rules, as it relates to the legal driving time of drivers.
Shift: Monday-Friday from 11am-8pm.
- Reviews daily orders. Sets and builds efficient truck loads to geographic areas, including single and multi-stop loads. Focuses on cost and service when routing loads.
- Clear understanding of customer service goals and expectations.
- Tenders loads to awarded contract carriers, including all customer and inter-company loads.
- Searches for new carriers that can bring value to Smithfield Foods.
- Addresses requests for late orders, changes to existing orders, stop changes, etc.
- Seeks additional orders to maximize truck weights.
- Communicates with brokers, Regional and Area Managers on service requests and issues.
- Collaborates with product schedulers to ensure inter-company moves are processed accurately.
- Schedules delivery appointments with customers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) from two-year college or technical school in Transportation, Logistics or related field and 2+ years’ experience and/or training in the transportation field, preferably the refrigerated segment; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Transportation, preferred.
- Knowledge of the transportation industry, transportation rate structures and current trends.
- Knowledge of SAP, desirable.
- Knowledge of meat industry, preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel, copiers, fax, calculator etc.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.