This position is accountable for providing effective direction and coordination for the assigned plant through a group of first-line Production Supervisors. The plants have operations ranging from non-skilled, semi-skilled and skilled production employees. Plants produce products to meet scheduled commitments and may operate up to three shifts per day seven days a week. Guides and advises production supervisors in interpretation of plant and company policies and procedures. Takes appropriate action to maximize production yields, plans for future capacity and maintains flexibility in the production operations needed due to the variances.
- Assists in maintaining acceptable plant profitability.
- Monitors yields and efficiencies daily and takes corrective action when appropriate.
- Maintains safety and ergonomic programs to ensure a safe working environment and while attaining company goal of an injury free workplace.
- Develops topics for at line meetings, trains employees to perform job safely; identifies and corrects safety hazards and ergonomic issues; attends safety and ergonomic meetings; determines strategies to meet goals of reduce injuries and cost per claim of injuries.
- Trains all supervisors and employees in company policies and procedures; counsels and or takes corrective action as necessary; develops and maintains a program of continuous improvement
- Maintains product quality and customer service standards.
- Ensures that sanitation standards are met daily; ensures product specifications and quality index are met or exceeded.
- Ensures that department manning and product scheduling is adequate to meet customer needs.
- Ensures company and USDA standards are met.
- Performs daily troubleshooting, implementing corrective action when necessary.
- Conducts line meetings as necessary to discuss violations and required actions to ensure compliance.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 4+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Experience using multiple computer applications including but not limited to Kronos, SAP and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies, and operations procedures.
- Knowledge of OSHA Standards and USDA and HACCP regulations.
- Bilingual, a plus.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Provides leadership and guidance to employees on the Production floor.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.