SPG Live Haul/Feed Delivery Driver
Operates Tractor/Trailer combination to make deliveries and/or pickups of live animals or feed destined for other farms and feed mill by performing the following duties. Requires willingness to work weekends and overnight travel occasionally. Also, requires willingness to get an annual flu vaccination.
- Successfully complete a Road Test and be issued a certificate
- Properly Pre-Trip and Post-Trip the equipment
- Work in single driver environment 80% and tandem driver environment 20%
- Handle shipping documents to ensure accuracy and timely submission
- Properly back equipment to load and off load at chute/docking areas
- Properly position equipment to safely off load feed into feed bins
- Drive day/night in variety of climates and traffic
- Must be able to work weekends (Saturday/Sunday) as needed
- Must be able to work Holidays
- Must be able to do OTR driving including overnight
- Load/unload animals IAW TQA and AWMS guidelines
- Use on-board computer
- Maintain logs, DVIR, itinerary, and other paperwork as required
- Fuel Equipment and/or turn in logs daily
- Complete all required information on the CDL Driver Application for Employment
- Be able to read and understand the English language
- Be able to understand highway traffic signs and signals
- Be able to respond to official inquiries and make entries on reports and records
- Handle shipping documents to ensure accuracy and timely submission
- Use Farm Directions Book, maps and/or GPS to avoid getting lost or going out-of-route
- Be able to converse with our business associates to resolve problems in a civil manner
- Be able to calculate simple mathematical problems dealing with animal delivery/feed delivery
- Comply with all Bio-Security (BMS), Environmental (EMS) management system’s rules and regulations
- Comply with Animal Care and TQA requirements
- Comply with DOT rules and regulations
- Comply with all M-B established policies and procedures
- Comply with Vehicle Driver Policy
- Wear seatbelts when vehicle in motion
- Safely operate animal hauling tractor/trailer/tanker type unit with high center of gravity
- Follow required and recommended safety practices and procedures
- Report all accidents promptly through proper authorities
- Wear appropriate PPE in designated areas
- Maintain professionalism when using communication devices
- Keep company equipment clean and secure lose objects in the cab
- Exhibit professional appearance and positive attitude at all times
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or GED, preferred.
- Meet DOT requirements
- At least 21 years of age
- No DUI/DWI or reckless driving convictions in last 10 years
- Meet minimum requirements to operate a CMV and have a current valid CDL issued from only one State
- Knowledgeable of FMCSR
- 1-year CDL experience desired or completion of 3rd Party Training
- Must be able to pass a DOT Physical upon initial hire
- Must be able to bend, stoop and no fear working in a limited space with live animals
- Must be able to pull/push heavy dead animals to accommodate offload, as required
- Must be able to shovel and clean up feed spills that occasionally occur and able to lift 50lbs without difficulty
- Animal handling/feed delivery experience preferred
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to do physical labor needed in order to perform job
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, 12 Hour Shifts.
- Move upper torso when backing may require leaning out of window to see blind spot and/or mirrors
- Power wash manure from live haul trailer, maintenance wash live haul and feed truck and trailers
- Climb into and out of trailer
- Open and close trailer doors that can require use of both arms and hands
- During pre-trip of equipment be able to climb into engine area; bend, stoop, and crawl to complete through pre-trip
- Get in and out of cab in tight places such as fuel islands
- Must be able to perform tasks which may have objectionable odors.
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, and odors.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Hook up trailer to tractor, which includes backing under the trailer, raising landing gear, hooking up airlines
- Handle manual transmission
- Roll up and down landing gear that requires two hands and upper torso when on ground and one when clears ground
- Walk on slick surfaces such as fuel islands and climb ladders to enter trailers and around feed mill
- Report any loading or delivery errors to dispatch immediately
- Report problems encountered on the farm through the Animal/Feed evaluation form
- Read and understand the M-B emergency notification process knowing how and who to contact in case of an emergency
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.