Senior Project Engineer
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
Applies theories and principles of science and mathematics to design and develop technical projects for the pork and packaged meat industry. Performs engineering assignments in medium to large complex projects leading a small team of engineers in leadership of the project. May also lead a team in an important portion of a more complex project under the direction of Project Manager or Sr Project Manager. Is fully capable of working independently and seeks advice in more complex situations.
- Develops preliminary engineering designs and engineering and material specifications.
- Develops project cost estimates.
- Performs design work including researching data, conducting feasibility and economic studies.
- Determines design criteria in accordance with required standards and codes for assigned projects.
- Performs validation of field work and transfers completed projects into as-built drawings.
- Reviews and checks engineering projects submitted by plants for completeness, accuracy, and soundness of applied engineering principles.
- Manages execution of projects by providing direction to equipment vendors and contractors.
- Manages project installation schedules by coordinating project activities with plant personnel, vendors and contractors.
- Confers with management and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
- Coordinates and provides direction to equipment vendors to plan layouts, meet utilities requirements, and maintain installation schedules.
- Reviews consultants’ submitted work products and recommends adjustments as appropriate.
- Maintains documentation on equipment manuals, mechanical/electrical drawings, parts lists, specifications and vendor/service contact information.
Reports and Proposals
- Conducts engineering planning, design and operational reviews in pre-project studies.
- Determines scope of work, prepares requests for proposals, and evaluates proposals.
- Submits reports to management by established deadlines.
Review of Bids and Project Preparation
- Assists in contract administration including review of bid packages.
- Prepares project documents including justifications, budget analyses, calculations, plans and schedules.
- Monitors installations and ensures proposal specifications and budgets are met.
- Manages budget activities as assigned.
- Acts as a lead by training, mentoring and providing guidance to less experienced Project Engineers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Engineering, Engineering Management, or related field and 5+ years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Strong knowledge of fresh pork, meat processing, and case ready application, preferred.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and techniques related to food processing and the meat industry, preferred.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles to operational and design issues.
- Knowledge of installation and construction project scheduling.
- Must possess Project Management skills; Contract Administration skills; National codes and standards interpretation skills. Previous experience in the management of multi-million dollar projects with large scopes, desirable.
- Proficient in engineering economics.
- Proficient in AutoCAD.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Word processing software, other Microsoft Office products, and the Internet.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Travel is required with extended overnight stays.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to Associate & Project Engineers.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.