Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. team members and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies . We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Current opportunities include positions in General Production, Maintenance Mechanics, Quality Assurance and Food Safety.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
· Material Handler $17.65 Hourly Starting Pay
· $3,000 Welcome Bonus*
· Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
· Looking to move to the area? $2,500 Relocation Packages are available (eligibilities apply)
*must meet program eligibility for payout.
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistanc
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Safely and efficiently utilize warehouse material handling equipment
- Utilize RF units and pick tickets, and receiving documentation
- Build stable, well-built and accurate pallet loads for shipment
- Ensure item pick accuracy and safety of product to prevent damage
- Understand pallet layers, heights, and counting methods used when working with pallets of product
- Read and understand product descriptions, packaging and pick ticket messages
- Consistently meet established company production and service level standards
- Utilize good housekeeping processes
- Utilize effective food safety measures
- Utilize warehouse processes to minimize damage and other areas of waste
- Inform supervisor of any differences in case quantity and/or product description
- Wrap the pallet by circling load with roll of plastic wrap until secure
- Housekeeping during and at the end of shifts
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or or general education degree (GED) required. A minimum of 3 full months of documented experience as a certified fork lift/heavy lift driver will be accepted in lieu of a High School Diploma or GED.
- Previous experience in a warehouse or with heavy lifting preferred
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds continually during shift
- Ability to consistently meet minimum production standards and company service levels
- Must obtain proper powered industrial truck certifications during initial training phase
- Ability to understand and follow both written and verbal instructions
- Ability to operate pallet jack and other required materials handling equipment (MHE)
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.