Shipping Clerk, Distribution Center
The Shipping Clerk is responsible for verifying and keeping records on incoming and outgoing shipments and prepares items for shipment.
Hourly pay will be comenstrative with experience.
- Handles a wide variety of paperwork including purchase orders, return authorizations, delivery notes and other shipping documents.
- Reviews all delivery notes for special instructions and highlights them for material handlers.
- Directs movement of shipments from shipping and receiving platforms to storage and work areas.
- Prepares all special labels for customer orders.
- Provides information to customer service representatives when requested.
- Help ensures proper storage, inventory and security of all product stocks.
- Schedules inbound and outbound loads.
- Maintains a log of inbound and outbound commercial vehicles.
- Provides timely and professional communication with carriers, 3rd party logistics companies and internal/external customers.
- Maintains appropriate records, files and documentation. Resolves routine problems.
- Utilizes SAP to print pick lists, confirm and post orders, and determine order information such as carrier, ship date, pro numbers, etc.
- Ensures orders are shipped in time to arrive by customers requested delivery date.
- Acts as a backup to other office personnel, when necessary.
- Works with the internal customers to document and track carrier issues.
- Utilizes continuous improvement mindset, assists in identifying opportunities to improve processes.
- Maintains a clean, sanitary and safe work area.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), required.
- Previous experience working in a Shipping environment where processing of customer orders was completed, preferred.
- General knowledge of shipping procedures, a plus.
- Ability to perform basic math functions including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to operate a forklift, preferred.
- Computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office, SAP and other office equipment.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced setting and effectively work in a team environment.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Bilingual, preferred.
- May be required to work long hours, holidays and weekends.
The work environment and phyiscal demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The DC environment will include extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical equipment such as forklifts/hi-lifts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the loading areas.
- Frequently lift and/or move 15 pounds. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand, use hands and/or fingers to grasp, handle, feel, reach and pull; and talk or hear. Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.