This position is responsible to support the production line operation, timely disassembly and re-assembly of equipment, cleaning and sanitation of combos, totes tubs, machinery, floors, walls and maintenance of wastewater removal equipment. Additional job responsibilities include completion of these tasks while following standard operating procedures, including but not limited to, filling out log sheets and other sanitation related paperwork.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Promptly at the start of the shift review the work schedule, check equipment and supplies required to perform the work scheduled and prepare for operations.
- Prepare machinery for cleaning, remove remaining materials from the machines and floors and place in the proper containers.
- Remove totes and other containers from the machine area, close valves, open doors, lids, drains and water valves.
- Breakdown, disassemble and / or loosen nuts, screws, belts, remove machine parts, conveyors, guard rails, lids, doors and guards.
- Wash down the production equipment, conveyors and machinery as required.
- Scrape material from the machine parts, shovel excess into totes and soak parts as needed.
- Obtain and apply the appropriate cleaning and sanitizing solution, apply foam to the surfaces, scrub surfaces and parts.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Work experience in a sanitation or similar role in a distribution environment is preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow both written and verbal instructions and labels.
- Follow established personal safety guidelines and policies.
- Follow established food safety guidelines and policies.
- Be available to work scheduled hours, which may include mandatory overtime, depending upon production demands.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, grasp, or feel with both hands; substantial movements (motion) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers; reaching and pulling with hands and arms.
- Prolonged standing or sitting - Occasional walking is required for short distances.
- Ability to consistently move/drag/lift up to 60 lbs frozen raw materials on a regular basis.
- Ability to consistently move/drag 100-150 plastic totes.
- Frequent stretching out of arms, and use of upper body.
- Occasional turning and twisting at the waist.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.