INTERN - Hog Production & Feed Mill Summer COLLEGE Internship - Kenansville, NC
We Invest in Smithfield’s Future by Investing in Yours.
The Smithfield Foods internship program offers students a paid opportunity to work in an environment that fosters real-life experiences, explores career options, and applies your education. You will become a part of key management meetings and participate in meaningful projects. Our goal is to provide a working environment that not only encourages creativity, but offers equality, diversity, mutual respect and productivity. Our summer internships are typically 10 weeks.
Our Summer Internship roles will be based in various locations across the country and offer potential travel opportunities. You will have exposure and the opportunity to broaden your skills through impactful work, mentored relationships, and will gain real world exposure to different disciplines on Smithfield’s team.
- Gains a general understanding of work processes and how these processes interrelate to overall company efforts in their specified area of production.
- Farms- Breeding, Farrowing, Boar Stud, Nursery and/or Finisher
- Feed Mills
- Performs competencies and tasks as specified in the Intern Development Plan
- Attend developmental training and workshops for the Summer Internship Program
- Develops and establishes rapport/relationships with all associated personnel and management.
- Develops and prepares required final presentation based upon experiences encountered and findings of individual department project to senior leadership and peers. Presentation will address/share opportunities for improvement.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as defined by management according to standards.
- Possesses ability to lift up to 50 pounds, do frequent stooping, bending, climbing, walking, and lifting
- Possesses ability to work a flexible schedule including week-end work.
- Provide own transportation to and from the work-site
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Agribusiness, Meat Science, Food Science, Animal Science or related major preferred but not required
- Must be actively enrolled in a college or university.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to learn and work in a team environment and independently as situations arise.
- Proactive thinker and self-motivated.
- Strong time and organizational management skills
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.