Grain Procurement Summer Internship - Accounting
We Invest in Smithfield’s Future by Investing in Yours.
The Smithfield Foods internship program offers students a paid opportunity to work in an environment that fosters real-life experiences, explores career options, and applies your education. You will become a part of key management meetings and participate in meaningful projects. Our goal is to provide a working environment that not only encourages creativity, but offers equality, diversity, mutual respect, and productivity. Our summer internships are typically 10 weeks.
Our Summer Internship roles will be based in various locations across the country and offer potential travel opportunities. You will have exposure and the opportunity to broaden your skills through impactful work, mentored relationships, and will gain real world exposure to different disciplines on Smithfield’s team.
- Learn and implement grain buying strategies to support hog feeding in the East and Midwest.
- Assist the local grain buying team by conducting grain receiving and storage operations.
- Become an ambassador for the Smithfield Grain brand by promoting our wheat seed program and other business development opportunities.
- Assist in the growth of Smithfield Grain into emerging markets throughout the U.S.
- Assist in grain exporting, container-loading and other sales execution processes.
- Attend developmental training and workshops for the Summer Internship Program.
- Cross-collaborate with other interns.
- Gain real-life experience in understanding local commodity markets, developing business insights through data analysis, and identifying areas for improvement within various processes and procedures.
- Present during the End-of-Summer Presentations to Executive Leadership, Management and Peers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Finance, Accounting, Agribusiness or Related Major
- Must have completed your sophomore year in college.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD.
- Willingness to learn and work in a team environment.
- Proactive thinker and self-motivated.
- Strong time, project, and organizational management skills.
- The ability to work independently.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.