Power House Technician - 2nd Shift
Address: 22123 Highway 5, Milan, MO 63556
A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Hourly Maintenance $25.70/hr - $34.30/hr
- $1.00/hr shift differential for 2nd and 3rd shift
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
Looking to move? We will help! Ask about our Relocation Assistance package for Skilled Trades roles! Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Lump Sum payments
- Agents to help you sell/ buy
- Lease Termination Assistance
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
Employee is responsible for preventive maintenance and repair of thermal processing equipment in the facility. In addition to these skills, this individual will be responsible for safe and compliant operation of refrigeration, ammonia, HVAC and engine room processes.
- Operate boiler system, ammonia refrigeration system, air compressors and wastewater treatment system
- Follow written and verbal procedures to comply with company and governmental regulations
- Work as a member of a round-the-clock team utilizing written, verbal and email communication
- Read, record, and interpret data from gauges, computer programs and measurement equipment
- Enter and retrieve information from a computer system; Microsoft Word/Excel, SAP, and Internet
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks and inspections on all associated systems.
- Perform basic mechanical repairs on all associated systems, (i.e., fans, pumps, valves, and motors)
- Effectively troubleshoot the systems both mechanically and electrically.
- Utilize schematics to aid in troubleshooting
- Install all kinds of plumbing (not including welded lines)
- Follow PPE requirements to work with hazardous chemicals, (i.e., acids, bases, anhydrous ammonia)
- Ability to operate a forklift, genie lift or scissor lift or other powered industrial trucks (PIT).
- Perform water testing for wastewater, boiler, and refrigeration system
- Maintain and clean equipment and area
- Provide feedback to help improve systems
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years of related experience and/or training in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4 years’ direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing maintenance environment.
- Ability to work with or without supervision.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively utilize measuring equipment
- Knowledge of electrical and plumbing a plus
- Prior experience reading schematics and hydraulic drawings, (Preferred)
- May be required to work long hours and weekends
- Ammonia operator I, II, III, RETA, PSM, Boiler I, II and license (Any preferred)
- Capable of meeting the physical requirements of HAZMAT Technician.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Must be able to perform studies on the production floor and cooler areas, working temperatures ranging from -40 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit and in constant noise, exposure to fumes, dust, mechanical, electrical and safety hazards.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate but can be loud if in the plant areas.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Must be able to work at elevated heights
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds utilizing the buddy system or specifically designed lifting devices.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.