A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Hourly Maintenance Competitive Starting Pay: $31.46 per hour
- $ .45/hr shift differential for 2nd - shift 2:30 pm - 11:00 pm and 3rd 10:30 - 7:00 am
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
Looking to move? We will help! Ask about our Relocation Assistance package for Skilled Trades roles! Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Lump Sum payments
- Agents to help you sell/ buy
- Lease Termination Assistance
- Moving of goods and vehicles
- In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
The Maintenance Technician has responsibilities to maintain, troubleshoot and repair a variety of electrical and mechanical equipment in a food processing environment. This position requires proficiency in multiple skill clusters, such as electrical controls, fluid power, mechanical systems, welding, fabrication and manufacturing processes. This person will perform medium to high-level machine systems troubleshooting and repair and provide technical support for all phases of the operation. This work will be of average to considerable difficulty in the accomplishment of a variety of mechanical maintenance actions.
- Receives work order/request, reviews to determine tools, equipment, time, manpower, parts, and supplies needed.
- When responding to crisis calls will always arrive at the scene with basic tools and equipment necessary to perform work.
- Read blueprints, schematics (including electrical), wiring diagrams, technical manuals, etc.
- Maintains various activity records and logs.
- Observe equipment or machinery while in operation to detect malfunctions.
- Disassemble mechanical equipment, identify faulty/worn parts, replace, reassemble, and test.
- Test major subsystems or components to localize problem using specialized equipment.
- Fabricate replacement parts which may require welding, cutting, or sheet metal work.
- Perform preventive maintenance on various mechanical systems and equipment. Install new equipment/appliances including utilities (i.e., electrical, water, gas, or drain lines).
- Responsibilities include installing, trouble shooting, and maintaining, mechanical equipment, piping systems, electrical controls/components in accordance with manufacturer’s specification, local regulations and Smithfield safety policies.
- Performs preventive and predictive maintenance schedules on mechanical equipment such as pumps, packaging and slicing equipment, harvest and cutting equipment used in manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge and skills in operating a variety of small hand tools and devices used in general mechanical maintenance operations
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years of related experience and/or training in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4 years’ direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing maintenance environment.
- Vocational Diploma, Technical Diploma or associate degree from a technical maintenance or vocational school. (Preferred).
- Possess the ability to function effectively in a team environment and interact productively with all levels of team personnel and outside contractors.
- Ability to operate a forklift, genie lift or scissor lift or other powered industrial trucks (PIT).
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and execute work order, write daily reports, and translate equipment manuals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds utilizing the buddy system or specifically designed lifting devices
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.