Maintenance Technician I-Distribution Center
A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Hourly Maintenance Competitive Starting Pay $22.65/$23.65 per hr
- Sunday thru Wednesday 8am-6:30pm
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
A Maintenance Technician is responsible for keeping a facility operating. Under general supervision this position will performs a variety of general maintenance duties which include electrical, mechanical, carpentry, and construction in the maintenance and repair of the Distribution Center.
- Maintains, repairs, and conducts preventative maintenance on material handling and building equipment in safe and efficient manner
- Utilizes established PM and repair policies and procedures to return equipment to fully operational status
- Read and understand technical drawings (e.g., blueprints, electronic/mechanical schematics) to repair/maintain equipment
- Troubleshoot complex problems with equipment where the repair is not immediately visible or obvious
- Work as a team member with operations and other technicians to support the facility in the repair and maintenance of equipment
- Required to interpret and understand plans and specifications, schematics, operating and maintenance manuals
- Will also perform light maintenance within the distribution center as directed
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years of related experience and/or training in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4 years’ direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing maintenance environment.
- Vocational Diploma, Technical Diploma or Associate's Degree from a technical maintenance or vocational school, a plus.
- Possess the ability to function effectively in a team environment and interact productively with all levels of team personnel and outside contractors.
- Ability to operate a forklift, genie lift or scissor lift.
- Can understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, write the following; work orders, instructions, daily reports and machine manuals.
- Ability to receive and relate orders/information using various communication devices.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.