Animal Handler - Duplin Marketing
The Certified Animal Handler (CAH) reports directly to the Station Manager and is required to follow the guidance of management. CAH has TQA and PQA Plus certification. The employee in this position will handle animals in a calm manner, and abide by Duplin’s Animal Care Policy. This position will perform all the station duties as needed by management. Below are the normal operating procedures of the Duplin Marketing CAH, in turn identifying the responsibilities of this position.
Sorts, receives, and loads animals in a productive, SAFE and efficient manner.
- Shipping of Animals (loading process)
- Performs preload trailer inspection prior to loading any animals.
- Loads animals according to the load sheet received from the weigh master using a herding board to move animals from pen to aisle and count animals onto truck.
- Receiving of animals (unloading process)
- Completes inspection and count of animals upon receiving.
- Places tags on and tattoos the shoulder area of the sow for identification
- Pens animals according to farm and pen capacity.
- Maintains receiving documentation.
- Sorts/grades animals according to Duplin/Customer specifications
- Receives documented training on the following: EIPMS (Employee Injury Prevention Management System), EMS (Environmental Management System), and Animal Welfare/Care from management.
- House Keeping: Locker room, Inside/outside barn.
- Maintains good customer and driver relations & presents good company image.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield subscribes.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with company EMS policies and procedures in the performance of their job duties.
- Reports all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor.
- Reads and understands the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.
- Follows an active safety awareness program including immediately reporting Smithfield safety violations and on the job injuries. Complies with Smithfield policies.
- Assists in training other loading employees as required. Performs duties as defined by manager.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Must be able to work an average 48-50 hour week, which can vary frequently.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to use loading equipment and tools.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 63,000 team members are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.