Production Intern OSU - HPD Ruckman
College student employed during semester break or track to be exposed to the various activities of Human Resources within a large corporation setting. Engaged under the supervision of the appropriate department leader and Intern Coordinator while learning/performing duties and responsibilities of a particular function.
- Gains a general understanding of work processes, how these processes interrelate to overall company efforts.
- Performs tasks of hourly positions and project manager in the functional area where assigned. Tasks are specified on Intern Development Plan. Includes: Process Improvement, collecting data for statistical tracking projects include turnover, safety trends, labor law issues, EEOC compliance, training, and recruiting.
- Develops and establishes rapport/relationships with all personnel and management.
- Develops and prepares required final report and presentation based upon experiences encountered and findings of individual department project or workflow process. Report wills address/share opportunities for improvement.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as defined by management according to standards.
- Possesses ability to lift up to 50 pounds, do frequent stooping, bending and climbing, walk, speak, see and hear.
- Possesses ability to work a flexible schedule including weekend work.
- Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws and procedures to which Murphy Farms, Inc. subscribes.
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor.
- Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.
- Serve on committees as directed to include: transportation, feed manufacturing, animal welfare and employee relations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- 4-year college degree in Animal Science or related Agricultural field of study, or equivalent supervisory experience and/or previous swine experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to work an average 48 hour week, which can vary frequently.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must shower in and out of farm facilities daily
- Ability to lead others
- Ability and willingness to relocate to complete training and assume first managerial assignment
- Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft software
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.