General Production - Sioux Falls
A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
Hourly Competitive Starting Pay – $18.85/hour
- $0.50/hour shift differential for 2nd and 3rd shift positions
Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More.
Education benefit available to full- and part time Smithfield team members on their first day of employment.
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth and professional development.
Production employees at Smithfield handle materials and use hand tools, knives, machinery, and equipment to help deliver good food responsibly to America’s dinner table. Production team members at Smithfield perform physically demanding work that requires good hand-eye coordination, attention to detail, strength and stamina. Team members must be available to work scheduled hours, which may include mandatory daily and weekend overtime, depending upon production demands.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently.
- Work with a knife (if trained).
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Frequently work 6 days week (Monday to Saturday)
- Work while wearing a hard hat, face shield, hearing/eye protection, steel-toed safety shoes and other personal protective equipment such as respiratory protection, specialty gloves, aprons, arm guards and torso guards depending on assignment
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Additional essential functions may be applicable to specific jobs.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Climbing or moving on ladders, steps, stairways, walkways, and platforms.
- Occasionally lift, lower and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- This work is physically demanding, repetitive and requires the use of many or all body parts and muscle groups.
- Using static or awkward work postures with neck and spine flexion while grasping, pinching, pulling, lifting, extending, flexing the hands and arms to perform work.
- A variety of arm and hand movements are required in applying force, movement and repetition.
Repetitive lifting, pulling or pushing object of up to 30 pounds
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Work around animal blood and/or carcass parts
Work around smells/odors
Work with or around sanitation/cleaning chemicals
Bend, stoop, and twist
Flexing, extending and raising arms
Grasping / pinching hands
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.